Adage – a wise saying.
For example: Eagles soar, but weasels do not get sucked into jet engines.
From Latin ad (to, toward) and agere (to do, to drive).
Here are a few more of my favorite adages:
- Experience is a comb which nature gives us when we are bald.
- You cannot get to the top by sitting on your bottom.
- Parents can tell but never teach, unless they practice what they preach.
- Drop by drop – a whole lake becomes.
- Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.
- If you are willing to admit faults, you have one less fault to admit.
- The fellow who never makes a mistake takes his orders from one who does.
- Ask the young, they know everything.