I received these questions:
How many weeks is your class? (Does it somewhat correspond to the CC 30-week plan)? Do you assign homework and do you collect it/grade it? Will the homework correspond at all to the CC 30 week Latin I (Challenge I) curriculum?
And just to be sure, he will be able to watch the lecture after it has broadcast live? (which is around 0700 PST on Wed I think).
And one final question, besides the lectures, what other materials will he have access to with the subscription?
Here is my reply:
Continue reading These questions… again.
I received this question:
Perfect – Ok so from reading your Q&A it sounds like keep my Henle kid in Henle 2 – and once she completes that she will have 3 years of Latin?
Here is my reply:
Slowly catching up. Yes. As best I can tell, it seems most schools treat Henle 1 as Intro to Latin, Latin 1, and Latin 2.
Henle 2 is treated as Latin 3.
I prefer to go with the names of the book.
Latin 1 = First Year Latin by Robert Henle
Latin 2 = Second Year Latin by Robert Henle
Latin 3 = Third Year Latin by Robert Henle
Have a happy Friday!
I realized after I read your email that I needed to streamline. If you are confused, many people are confused. So, I have begun the process of cleaning up my site. I want everything to be crystal-clear to my students.
In the past, I left old classes up in case students needed to go back and watch them. Now, I will simply post the most current class and delete the others. This will eliminate some of the confusion.
I also sent a separate syllabus in the past. But, this meant that students had to go to the syllabus, then go to my site. Now, I have updated my site so that the homework instructions will be included at the beginning of each lesson.
For example, this is from lesson one:
Work outside of class will basically be the same every week.
- First, learn the vocabulary for the chapter. In this case, learn the vocabulary for chapter 1. Use this: https://quizlet.com/144842514/lingua-latina-cap-i-flash-cards/
- Second, read the chapter we are in. Read it once a day. We will spend two weeks in every chapter until we reach chapter 27. During those two weeks, read the chapter we are in every day.
- Third, attempt Pensum C at the end of the chapter.
- Fourth, compare your answers to the answers in the “Student Answer” section. This week, that section is here: https://dwanethomas.com/module-1/student-answes-capitulum-1-pensum-c/
- Fifth, take the quiz.
- Sixth, get some help in the forum if you are confused. There will be others in there who can help. I also try to stop by once a day. Here is the forum: https://dwanethomas.com/forums/forum/lingua-latina/
- Seventh, if you are really struggling, there is an audio translation of the book. Use this only if you truly need it. Here you are:http://www.lingvalatina.com/p/llpsi-translations.html
That’s it! Be patient with yourself. It takes time to learn Latin. Thousands of others have done it. You can, too.
I have also made it clear that many of the extra videos on my site are just that. They are extra. They are optional. They are not required.
The homework assignment, like the one you see above, will rarely change. The content will change, but the structure will not.
When you receive a receipt from my site, be sure to click on the blue SUBSCRIPTION link in the receipt.
When the file downloads, open the file. There you will find the links to the live classes.
Access to the previous classes on my site is a different registration. That registration requires help from me. I am currently behind. I will make sure everyone is registered soon.
But, you do not need me to register for the live classes.
Confused about classes?
I will be offering another free Q and A orientation class tonight at 6 pm central time zone.
Register here (just click on the link and enter your name and email): https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6416932763790514946
Tim Ferris (of Four-Hour Work Week Fame) has this note at the end of all of his emails:
DUE TO VOLUME, PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. SADLY, WE ARE UNABLE TO READ 1,000+ MESSAGES PER DAY.
After putting it off for years, I am going to have to take the same action. I spent about 12 hours today answering emails, and I am still not able to catch up.
I have to face the truth. I can’t keep up.
I will also begin closing access to my classes. At the end of this week, enrollment will end. I am very sorry. This is not something I wanted to do. I no longer feel I have a choice.
When you join a class, you should receive a link to a PDF. Inside that PDF are the links to the live classes. PLEASE verify that you have those before emailing me. I may not be able to respond to you for days.
The name of the link is SUBSCRIPTION. It is a blue link.